Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Random Generation


I'm working on another dungeon crawler, and it will use randomly generated dungeons. I'm blocking them out using black and white assets (will have color, not that this is the games style). I make the rooms by hand and then they are randomly stitched together to build a map. Details can also be placed in a random way.

5 comments:

  1. This looks really cool man. Honestly kinda dig the monochrome look, but I can definitely see that looking even better painted in a dark color palette.

    Do you already have plans for the combat system? Will it be mystery dungeon type combat where you either have a turn to move or attack, with every enemy getting their turn afterwards?
    If so I have another idea I want to share, what if it still uses the same combat UI as LL, but since the combat rules are bound to the MD map now enemies instead are lined up at the right side of the screen and fade in and out depending on if they're in combat range or not? Whoever you're facing on the map could be in the foreground, while the other sprites of whoever's surrounding you is slightly blacked out and shrinked. It sounds more complicated in written form, I can make a quick mock up if you're interested in the idea.

    Also, another random suggestion: What if enemies could try to knock you through the map and into traps? Or an enemy could carry you around while you're caught in an ero attack, like a flying tentacle monster trying to drag you towards its lair or just carrying you around while its having its way with you. Maybe enemies could apply effects on the floor-tiles, like a spider spitting webs or a slime covering the ground in goo, and the player sprite would react to whatever its standing in and receive the corresponding debuffs. I feel like that would be a great way to utilize the added dimension to the combat system.

    I know I'm being a bit overly eager here, but I just love the idea of the game and this is probably the type of game I myself would make if I had any drawing or programming talent myself lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combat will be a lot like a mystery dungeon game (player takes one action, enemies then each take one action).
      I want enemies to move around the map and interact with things similar to the player, since there won’t be a state change when it comes to exploration and combat the enemies on the map will need to be active at all times. I used 3D models for the moving enemies in LL, but this game will use 2D graphics for most things.

      Since a first person mystery dungeon hasn’t really been done before I’ll have to experiment with some things, like adding an additional radar or indicators on the UI to help determine what’s around you quicker. I also want to give the player more options to maneuver the tiles (evasive actions).

      Enemies will be able to adjust your position (knock you around), not sure about carrying you though. You’ll be able to use attacks that adjust their positioning as well.

      I’m glad you’re interested, hopefully I’ll show off more soon. I’m still working on the 3D environment art and shaders.

      Delete
    2. Don't worry about sounding overly eager, it reminds me of how everyone would hash out ideas in the LL discord when the game was still in development. I hope we all come up with some great ideas when development reaches the stage where mminit can put good concept ideas to use.

      Delete
    3. I appreciate your receptiveness when it comes to ideas and feedback. And yeah, gave a lot of feedback during LL's development too (for example cutting some of the downtime and pauses during combat, making the sprites actually move during combat etc.)

      I like the first person aspect but I feel like it could cause trouble when trying to keep an overview during combat, since your sight will likely primarily be fixed in front of you it'll make whatevers to your side hard to deal with.

      Actually went ahead and made a mockup of what I meant with combat UI. I know I'm a bit overly enthusiastic, but I just like your work and have a lot of freetime right now lol. https://imgur.com/a/B0uTnV9

      This is probably way too early though since you're still working on the map system, just wanted to get the idea out there and I had the time right now to make the mockup. Would love to hear what you think.

      Delete
    4. That third example is actually pretty similar to what I'm testing out, it's easy to make and pretty clear. I have some other ideas as well but I'd have to try them out.

      Delete