Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2021

Post

This is a damage/cloth tearing shader I'm testing out. While it won't look as detailed as redrawing everything, this method is a lot less time consuming and keeps the game files smaller. I only need to keep one extra texture file to create the damage instead of separate drawings per pose. It also allows for layering.

It's pretty simple and works by using color channels to mask out the damage areas, then it outlines the pixels around them. There are 3 levels of damage.



4 comments:

  1. I like it. I think if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn't done by hand.
    That said, after staring at it for a little bit, I do think some (very few) of the holes look impossible for some reason or another. For example I'd say {level 2. standing, her front right shoulder, small round hole} and {level 3, standing, her front right thigh, big vaguely dick shaped hole} aren't jagged enough on the outline (and the big one has small flaps which, if they actually ripped like that, would hang off the skin and not stay glued to her like that). So those look a lil off to me.
    But then again, it looks amazing in most places, especially where there is detail on the skin level, like a shadow or her butt! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yeah that's a limitation of this method. Since it's only cutting away I can't have torn pieces hanging off or anything, I can make things more jagged by editing the mask though.

      Delete
  2. This is super neat! Did you use a noise dissolve for it? The tears look like they were masked by hand, so I was wondering how you only had one image for the mask that applied it to each pose (if that's what you meant) since each pose's holes look consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are masked by hand. There's only one image for the mask because I use each color channel(R,G,B) to build up the damage, the shader is passed values to determine which channels to add together. The clothing is rendered separately on top of the body so that when it's cut away by the mask the skin can be seen. There are 3 total images used per pose, the body, clothing and then the damage mask.

      Delete