It's been a while since my last post, but for anyone wondering I haven't abandoned future projects. The reason being a combination of unrelated work and my own mental hurdles, but I'm sure people read that kind of thing from devs/artists all the time so I won't bore you with details. I also let the game scope get out of hand so I took a step back to rethink things. I constantly struggle with trying to do this in a sustainable way.
In a comment I mentioned how I was having difficulty generating decent dungeon layouts, and now I feel like I have a solution I'm happy with. The only things that are procedurally generated anymore are room positions and their connections to other rooms (previously there were set positions). With an editor I'm able to create specific rooms for the generator to pull from. If you look at mystery dungeon games their rooms are usually simple square or rectangle shapes, but I wanted a bit more detail than that.
Here it is in a top down view running some tests, this is with only 6 room layouts (that’s why some patterns repeat) and I plan on having way more than that:
In terms of content I'd like for this next game to be viable on platforms like Steam, and while they do allow games with h-content now it still doesn't seem too concrete (from what I've seen, anyway). I get the feeling that a lot of the content I enjoy making wouldn’t be what some people want (like the lighter stuff in Lewdest Labyrinth), but would probably have a better chance on there, so I’m kinda torn with that. I remember back on tumblr I did a poll on whether players preferred ENF type stuff or more explicit, and it was split 50/50. It's not just because of Steam though, I've found that over time I do enjoy making the former more. I’m not sure what to do here and need to think about it more.
Anyways, if you still visit this page, thank you. I’ll keep at it.
We're still with you man, keep it up!
ReplyDeleteGood to see you're still working at it! Good luck!
ReplyDelete